Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Calculate Nutrition for Your Recipe

If you have created a recipe, you can calculate the nutrition contents at
http://caloriecount.about.com/cc/recipe_analysis.php

I'm watching my carbohydrates and a friend gave me a soup recipe that called for 1 whole pint of heavy cream.

Heavy cream, per the package label is zero carbs for 1 tablespoon. I don't even use it in my coffee for that reason. I have switched to unsweetened "almond milk" which has zero net carbs (1 carb minus 1 fiber. It is pretty tasty too. My hubby couldn't tell the difference between coffee prepared with that instead of powdered creamer.

Anyway heavy cream nutrition labeling says zero, but there could be 0.4 or 0.5 (anything less than 1) carbs. That adds up! In a whole pint of heavy cream, there are 13 more carbs than zero (11 net carbs per pint).

I ran the ingredients for the recipe through the calorie counter.
The recipe ended up having 9.1 net carbs per serving. It's not crazy low, but o.k.

I think I'll try it instead with almond milk which has one net carb per cup:
This change brought the net carbs down to 6.2 per serving.